Location: North-east from Ubud, near Tampaksiring
By car from Ubud: 45 minutes
Historical dating: 11th century
Gunung Kawi is an 11th-century temple complex in Tampaksiring north east of Ubud in Bali, Indonesia. It is located on the river Pakrisan.
The candis of Gunung Kawi are believed to be constructed in the 11th century (1080 AD) by king Anak Wungsu in honor of his father, the great Balinese ruler Udayana. Contrary to what is often believed, the candis are not tombs, for they have never contained human remains or ashes.
The complex comprises 10 rock-cut candi (shrines) carved into the cliff face. They stand in 7-metre-high (23 ft) sheltered niches cut into the sheer cliff face. These monuments are thought to be dedicated to King Anak Wungsu of the Udayana dynasty and his favourite queens.
Temple complex is consisted of 2 consecutions. The consecution in eastside Pekerisan River is consisted of 5 units and the consecution at west side of river is 5 units, in the north is 4 units and 1 unit is located far in south side separate from the others.